Who is BEN VERNON?
On June 24, 2015, Ben’s life changed. While responding to a “routine medical assistance” call, he was stabbed multiple times by a bystander. The incident and the ensuing ordeal left Ben with a changed perspective.
Ben shares his story so that others, who may be going through a similar situation, can know that what they are experiencing is not their fault and that they are not alone. He wants others to know the impact this kind of event can have on a person, and how best to help someone who is going through crisis.
Photo by Antonio Zaragoza
Additional Facts about Ben
- Has served the citizens of San Diego as a Firefighter/Paramedic with the Fire Rescue Department for 10 years
- Member of the Hazardous Materials and Technical Rescue Teams
- On the FEMA California Task Force Eight Urban Search and Rescue Team (CA-TF8)
- Holds five specialist positions on the team: Rescue Specialist, Hazardous Materials Specialist, Technical Search Specialist, Communications Specialist, and Medical Specialist.
- Teaches Emergency Medical Technician courses at the Miramar Community College and in the San Diego Fire Rescue Academy
- Enjoys working on his Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certifications in Automotive Repair
- Avid scuba diver and rock climber
- Lives with his wife, Lisa, in the city of Temecula
- Continues to serve his community and is currently assigned to Station 14, in North Park, San Diego